I began as clay.
Nothing unusual.
Just earth gathered from the ground, carried back to a pottery workshop, mixed with water, and worked by human hands.
At first, I had no face.
I was only a lump of clay waiting to become something.
Then I was placed on a wheel.
Round and round I went.
The hands that shaped me knew what they were doing. The clay rose beneath their fingers, becoming a vessel with a body, a mouth, and a hollow space inside.
I could have remained an ordinary jug.
There were many of those around me.
Jugs for storing things.
Pots for everyday use.
Vessels made to be useful.
But then someone gave me a face.
Eyes appeared.
Ears.
A nose.
A mouth.
My expression became strange.
Perhaps a little frightening.
Perhaps a little funny.
Perhaps both at once.
I was no longer simply a container.
I had become a character.
![]() |
| A strange little face emerging from the clay. |
My body could still hold something, but now people looked at me before they looked inside me.
And then came the colors.
Different clays could be layered together before being turned on the wheel, creating swirling bands across the body.
The pattern moved around me as though the clay itself had decided to dance.
I became a swirl jug.
A face jug.
A strange little face emerging from the clay.
But I was not born from a completely new idea.
The story of the face jug reaches deeper into American history.
Face vessels were made by Black potters in Edgefield, South Carolina, during the nineteenth century, and their history is connected to African artistic and spiritual traditions. Over time, white Southern potters also adopted and transformed the form.
The meaning changed.
The appearance changed.
The reasons people made them changed.
By the twentieth century, face jugs could become decorative objects, collectibles, tourist pieces, and works of folk art.
And then there was Burlon Craig.
He lived in Vale, North Carolina, where the Catawba Valley pottery tradition had survived through generations of potters.
Craig had learned pottery as a teenager from a local potter named James Lynn.
He continued to work with clay throughout his life.
His pottery belonged to a tradition built around local materials, wood-fired kilns, and alkaline glazes.
But traditions do not remain perfectly still.
They change when people change.
They change when technology changes.
They change when the things people once needed are replaced by something manufactured somewhere else.
Jugs that had once been useful for everyday storage became less necessary.
So potters experimented.
They searched for new forms.
New decorations.
New reasons for people to want their work.
For Burlon Craig, face jugs and swirlware became successful parts of that changing world.
I imagine myself sitting among his ordinary pots.
Plain jugs nearby.
Clay waiting on the worktable.
A wheel standing ready.
Firewood stacked somewhere outside.
The great groundhog kiln waiting for its next firing.
And there I am.
The strange one.
The one with the face.
Perhaps someone picks me up and laughs.
Perhaps someone looks at me for a little longer.
Perhaps they wonder who I am supposed to be.
That is the peculiar power of a face jug.
A plain vessel can disappear into the background.
But give a vessel a pair of eyes and suddenly people begin to imagine.
A personality.
A story.
A mood.
A little bit of humor.
A little bit of unease.
The clay has not changed its basic purpose.
But the object has acquired a presence.
Burlon Craig became one of the important figures in the revival and continued practice of Catawba Valley pottery. His work helped draw renewed attention to a regional pottery tradition that might otherwise have faded further as utilitarian pottery declined.
His face jugs became especially popular.
So did his swirlware.
What began as clay had become something people wanted to collect.
I find that rather strange.
I was made from earth.
I was shaped by hand.
I was fired by heat.
And somehow, after all that, my most memorable feature is simply a face.
A face that never lived.
Eyes that never saw.
A mouth that never spoke.
Yet here I am.
Still looking back.
Perhaps that is why people keep strange objects.
Not because they are beautiful in the usual sense.
Not because they are ancient.
Not because they belonged to someone famous.
Sometimes we keep them because they make us stop.
We look at the object.
The object looks back.
And for a moment, the distance between us and the person who made it becomes a little smaller.
I am the face jug.
I am clay shaped into a vessel.
I carry the memory of a pottery tradition, a changing market, and the hands of a maker.
And somewhere between the ordinary jug and the strange face,
I became something else.
A little piece of folk art.
A little piece of history.
A strange little face emerging from the clay.
Historical Fact
Face jugs are expressive ceramic vessels with human-like facial features attached or formed on their surfaces. Their history in the American South is complex and cannot be reduced to a single origin story.
Nineteenth-century face vessels made by Black potters in Edgefield, South Carolina, are an important part of the history of the form. Smithsonian research notes connections between these vessels and African artistic and spiritual traditions. Over time, white Southern potters adopted and transformed the form, giving it new meanings and uses.
The popular explanation that face jugs were made with frightening faces to keep children away from whiskey is one later story associated with the form. It appears, for example, in the Smithsonian American Art Museum's description of a Burlon Craig face jug. However, it should not be treated as the universal or original explanation for face jugs.
Burlon Craig (1914–2002) was a North Carolina potter who became an important figure in the continuation and revival of the Catawba Valley pottery tradition. As a teenager, he learned pottery from local potter James Lynn. He later established his pottery operation in Vale, North Carolina.
Catawba Valley pottery was characterized by techniques including alkaline glazing and the use of wood-fired “groundhog” kilns. Craig worked with locally available materials and used a foot-powered pottery wheel. His early production included practical vessels such as churns, pitchers, and storage jugs.
Craig became particularly known for face jugs and swirlware. For his swirlware, he layered clays of different colors before turning the vessel on the wheel, producing the characteristic swirling pattern. Face jugs and decorative pottery became increasingly important as the market for traditional utilitarian pottery declined.
The Smithsonian American Art Museum holds a Burlon Craig Face Jug dated after 1974, made of glazed stoneware with porcelain. The museum records the work as 47.3 cm high.
Craig's work helped bring renewed attention to Catawba Valley pottery. He received a National Heritage Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts in 1984, and the Reinhardt-Craig House, Kiln and Pottery Shop associated with his work was later listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This story uses the face jug as a literary “Silent Witness.” The imagined thoughts and memories of the vessel are fictional. They are not claims about the individual Burlon Craig work, its maker, owner, or specific historical events.
The accompanying illustration is also an artistic interpretation. It is inspired by Burlon Craig's face jugs, swirlware, and documented Catawba Valley pottery environments, rather than being a literal reconstruction of a particular Craig workshop or object.
Image Note
This AI-generated illustration is an artistic interpretation inspired by the pottery of Burlon Craig and the Catawba Valley pottery tradition of North Carolina.
The face jug in the foreground is inspired by Craig’s expressive face jugs and swirlware, while the workshop setting incorporates elements associated with his working environment, including a foot-powered pottery wheel, traditional pottery vessels, clay-working tools, stacked firewood, and a groundhog kiln. Craig was known for using layered colors of clay to create swirling patterns and for continuing traditional Catawba Valley techniques such as alkaline glazing and wood-fired groundhog kilns.
The workshop, pottery arrangement, and surrounding objects are imaginative reconstructions rather than a literal depiction of Craig’s actual studio at a specific moment. The illustration is intended to evoke the relationship between an unusual expressive vessel and the everyday craft environment from which it emerged.
The face jug is presented as the visual protagonist, emphasizing its handmade character, expressive features, and distinctive swirling clay pattern.
