The Boomerang: The Object That Always Returns

 I began as wood.

Before I had a curve, before hands shaped me, before anyone knew what I could do, I belonged to a tree.

I remember the feeling of being part of something larger than myself. Wind moved through branches above me. Sunlight crossed the leaves. Rain came and went. Seasons passed without asking whether I was ready for them.

Then came the hands.

They chose the wood carefully and gave me another life.

They cut me. Shaped me. Smoothed me.

Slowly, I became what I was meant to be.

A curved piece of wood.

A tool.

A thing made to leave the hand and travel through the air.

My surface carries the marks of that making. The grooves, scratches, and variations in the wood are not imperfections to me. They are traces of the hands that turned a piece of tree into an object with purpose.

Then, one day, I was thrown.

For a moment, I belonged to the sky.

I left the earth behind and moved through open air, following the path given to me by the person who released me.

And then I turned.

That is the strange thing about me.

I am made to leave.

But some of us are made to return.

My curved body, my shape, and the way I was thrown could bring me back toward the place from which I had come.

Perhaps that is why people remember me.

Not simply because I can fly, but because I can come home.

Yet my story is larger than my flight.



The Boomerang: Made to fly, destined to return.


Across Aboriginal Australia, boomerangs have had different forms, purposes, meanings, and cultural contexts. They have been used as tools, weapons, hunting implements, objects of skill, and objects connected with ceremony and storytelling.

And beyond their physical uses, boomerangs also appear in Aboriginal stories and traditions connected with ancestral beings, creation, landscape, and the sky.

I have lived beside those stories.

I have listened without speaking.

I have watched people look at my shape and see more than a piece of wood.

Sometimes they see movement.

Sometimes they see a tool.

Sometimes they see a connection between people and Country.

Sometimes they see a story.

I cannot tell you which hands first shaped me.

I cannot tell you every place I have traveled.

I cannot tell you whether I belonged to a hunter, a craftsman, a child learning to throw, or someone whose name has long disappeared from memory.

Wood keeps many secrets.

But it also keeps traces.

Every mark on my surface tells part of a story.

A worn edge.

A polished section.

A darkened patch where hands once held me.

A small imperfection left behind by time.

These things remind me that an object does not have to be grand to carry history.

I was never a palace.

I was never a monument.

I was never carved from precious stone.

I was wood.

And yet I traveled through human hands, across landscapes, across generations, and eventually across the boundaries of time.

Now I may rest quietly in a collection.

No one throws me anymore.

No wind carries me.

No hand waits for me to return.

But perhaps I am still doing what I have always done.

Returning.

I return through photographs.

Through museum displays.

Through the stories people tell.

Through artists who draw my curved silhouette.

Through children who learn how I work.

Through the questions asked by people who encounter me centuries after I was made.

I left the hands that shaped me long ago.

But I keep coming back.

Back into human memory.

Back into stories.

Back into the imagination.

And perhaps that is the oldest journey I know.

To leave.

To travel.

To disappear for a while.

And somehow...

to return.

I am the boomerang.

I was made to fly.

But my greatest journey has always been the journey back.


Historical Context

Boomerangs are not a single type of object. Across Aboriginal Australia, they developed in many shapes, sizes, and forms, reflecting different environments, purposes, and cultural traditions.

Despite the popular image of a boomerang that flies out and returns to the thrower, the vast majority of Aboriginal boomerangs are non-returning. Larger and heavier forms were commonly used as hunting or fighting weapons, while other forms served as digging tools, implements for working around fires, or objects used in ceremony, dance, and music. Returning boomerangs were also used in particular hunting techniques and for other purposes.

Their shapes vary considerably. Some are gently curved, while others have pronounced bends, including the distinctive hooked or “number 7” form. Boomerangs could also be shaped for specific environmental conditions and functions. Makers adjusted the form of the wings and the weight of the object according to its intended use.

Boomerangs were traditionally made from wood, with makers selecting and shaping suitable pieces from trees. Historical accounts from Aboriginal makers describe a careful process of drying, scraping, shaping, and smoothing the wood by hand. Each finished object could therefore carry the individual traces of its maker.

Decoration also varies across Australia. Boomerangs may carry carved, incised, painted, or pigmented designs, with styles reflecting different Aboriginal communities and artistic traditions. There is therefore no single “Aboriginal boomerang design.”

Boomerangs also have a place in Aboriginal cultural traditions and creation stories. The National Museum of Australia notes that, in some Dreaming traditions, Ancestors threw boomerangs and spears as part of the formation of significant features of the landscape. These traditions belong to diverse Aboriginal cultural groups rather than to one single Australian mythology.

Archaeological evidence demonstrates the deep history of these objects. The oldest Australian boomerangs currently known were discovered at Wyrie Swamp in South Australia and date to around 10,000 years ago, while rock art depicting boomerangs in the Kimberley has been dated to approximately 20,000 years ago.

For thousands of years, Aboriginal groups also exchanged boomerangs across the continent. Different forms travelled between regions through networks of trade and exchange, creating another layer of history around these seemingly simple wooden objects.

Today, boomerangs continue to be made in Aboriginal communities. Beyond their familiar image as a symbol of Australia, they remain tangible links to Aboriginal history, Country, craftsmanship, and cultural continuity.

Celadon
Sumatran and Thai celadon pots from the 18th and 19th centuries originally used to store preserved fruits.

Ming jars/Dragon jars (Sixteenth to Nineteenth Century)
Dragon Jars were used for burial, but more prominently, for status and display. The most valuable Dragon Jars which indicated that they were acknowledged to be valuable antique.

Blue & White
Chinese blue and white porcelain was a unique contribution to the history of ceramic technology. Throughout its development from the beginning of the fourteenth century, because of its technical originality and artistic brilliance, it has continued to captivate and inspire the entire world.